Sunday, August 21, 2011

Buttercream frosting


I have spent a long time looking for a perfect buttercream frosting. I absolutely love the super sweet, super bad for you, bakery sweet cream and I have finally figured it out! I've not found a recipe exactly like this, but it's a combination of

several other recipes and my own ideas on ingredients and amounts. I'm sure a recipe just like this is out there somewhere, but I never found it:



Ingredients

1 cup butter, room temperature

2 cups shortening

1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring (careful with amounts as it can really turn the flavor from good to bad quick)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (use clear extracts to maintain true white)

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

2 lbs confectioners' sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons meringue powder (if you're unfamiliar with this ingredient, you can find it at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Walmart in the baking sections under the Wilton brand)

Heavy whipping cream (add this a tablespoon at a time to start and then in lesser amounts until you get to the desired consistency)


Directions

1. mix butter, shortening, and salt with stand mixer on low for 5 minutes

2. add vanilla, almond and butter extracts and mid on low for 1 minute

3. Add 1 pound of confectioner's sugar and the meringue powder and mix until smooth

4. add 1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar at a time until you get the consistency you want

5. add whipping cream and mix for 5 minutes

*note if you plan to add coloring to your icing it will thin the consistency. Keep this in mind when adding liquid

6. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate.


I assure you I was jumping up and down when I tasted this frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment