Monday, August 20, 2012

Coffee Cake

I've been trying not to bake for the last several months so that I won't eat so many sweets. I don't think it helped at all!  I really like coffee cake so I'm proud to say that I only ate one piece of this cake.




I mixed the topping and crumbled it over the top before putting it in the oven, but somewhere something went awry... in a good way! The topping I put on the cake sunk to the bottom and created a chewy crust. I just whipped up another batch of the topping and re-topped it 10 minutes before the end of baking. I'll never do this any other way if I can make whatever mistake it was again on purpose.

Topping:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c flour
1/4 c unsalted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Cake:
1 1/2 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c melted unsalted butter
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping prep:
In small mixing bowl combine ingredients until crumbly and set aside.

Cake prep:
Preheat oven to 375°
Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
In another bowl beat together the egg, sugar, and butter.
Add the milk and vanilla.
Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 inch square pan.
Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over batter.
Bake at 375°  for 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
Allow to cool partially before cutting into squares.

If your topping sinks to the bottom you can mix up another batch of the topping to sprinkle over the top of the cake 30 minutes in to baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment